Capturing The Elusive R&D Tax Credit
You don’t have to be developing cutting edge technology or a
new pharmaceutical to take advantage of the Research and
Development Tax Credit.

Over the past 25 years, the Research and Development Tax Credit has been an elusive target for many
businesses. Since its creation in 1981, the credit has died and been resurrected at least 11 times by
Congress but never made permanent. Determining qualifying expenditures and the baseline for calculation
would make the best business owner cringe. But armed with professional tax help, fighting the red tape can
be a worthwhile endeavor for many businesses.

Private industry expenditures for research and development have increased to about two-thirds of national
R&D spending, as the government’s portion has declined, from 1.92 percent of
GDP in 1964 to 0.80 percent
of GDP in 2004, according to the Manufacturing Council. American manufacturers, who account for 14
percent of U.S. gross domestic product, claim about 60 percent of the credits.

While research and development is often considered the domain of large companies, smaller businesses
have more to gain, as the value of the R&D credit as a percentage of their assets can be as high as 9.4
percent. Of the 16,000 businesses using the R&D credit, more than 4,500 companies have assets of less
than $1 million.

The IRS defines R&D expenditures as those “incident to the development or improvement of a product,”
including the costs and attorney’s fees associated with obtaining a patent. The
IRS definition of “product”
includes formulas, inventions, patent, pilot models, processes and techniques. Excluded expenditures
include quality control testing, advertising and promotion, consumer surveys, efficiency surveys,
management studies, research for literary, historical or similar projects, and the acquisition of another’s
patent, model, production or process.

The next hurdle is figuring out exactly how much tax credit the business has coming. Businesses must first
determine their base amount of R&D expense, a calculation probably best done by a tax professional. The
business can claim 20 percent of R&D expenses over that base amount, which will vary from business to
business. The work must be done in the U.S. for U.S. research and development.

In 1996, Congress passed the Alternative Incremental Research Credit (AIRC), intended to help companies
with significant R&D expenditures who did not qualify for the credit due to economic circumstances during
the base period. The amount of the AIRC is typically less than the regular R&D credit.

Businesses may be able to go back as far as three years in claiming the R&D credit. Again, a tax
professional can help determine if you meet IRS criteria for doing so.

Utilizing the R&D tax credit can result in “found money” for businesses, allowing investment in further
research and development or other business growth activities. Your tax professional can help you capture
the elusive beast, and your financial professional can help you decide what to do with it.

Any tax or legal information provided here is merely a summary of our understanding of some of the
current tax regulations, and is not exhaustive. Investors must consult their tax advisor or legal counsel for
advice and information concerning their particular situation.
All information herein has been prepared solely for informational purposes, and it is not an offer to buy or sell, or a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or instrument or to
participate in any particular trading strategy. The Money Alert does not make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any
information prepared by any unaffiliated third party, whether linked to this web site or incorporated herein, and takes no responsibility. All such information is provided solely for
convenience purposes only. The Money Alert is not affiliated with any of the firms or entities listed unless specifically stated. The Money Alert does not provide investment, tax or legal
advice. Please consult the appropriate professional regarding your personal situation.
Copyright © 2010 The Money All rights reserved.
r&d tax credit